[OTR-users] Can't enable logging with 4.0.0

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Sep 6 00:57:13 EDT 2012

Gregory Maxwell:
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 12:32 AM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:
>> It's a bug. Logging being off by default isn't a bug though - it's to
>> ensure that a user turns on logging if they want it and if they didn't
>> want it, they won't accidentally shoot themselves in the foot.
>
> As a default seems it prudent. At worst its a minor one time unwelcome surprise.
> ... and a much better unwelcome surprise than thinking you weren't logging
> when you were.

That was my thought as well with the presently discussed bug aside.

> My complaint was just this idea that it was desirable to effectively remove
> logging.  With OTR it's quite possible to have 100% of your contacts
> encrypted, even the technophobe elois... and removing loved functionality
> would be a great way to break that.

I generally agree - though I think it would be nice to make it harder
for users to be screwed on accident or even by a jerk on purpose. In Tor
we have "tor2web mode." It requires a *recompile* to make Tor change the
circuit building process for reaching hidden services. In that mode, the
semi-desired process is that tor2web servers don't hide their location
and the extra hops cause more latency. It is never desired for anyone
else and the extra hassle for those people keeps other users safe, we think.

>> It seems to me that signaling that users are logging would be a nice
>> addition - if you violate my privacy by logging me, I'd like to know;
>> that is far from perfect but surely it would create some interesting
>> social discussions!
>
> I'm sure that most of the time it would be "Hey, doofus, we probably
> shouldn't log this conversation, turn it off"  "Oh, good point! Done."
> "Thanks".

That nearly convinces me of the idea. :)

All the best,
Jake