[OTR-users] Can't enable logging with 4.0.0

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 00:49:12 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 12:32 AM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:
> It's a bug. Logging being off by default isn't a bug though - it's to
> ensure that a user turns on logging if they want it and if they didn't
> want it, they won't accidentally shoot themselves in the foot.

As a default seems it prudent. At worst its a minor one time unwelcome surprise.
... and a much better unwelcome surprise than thinking you weren't logging
when you were.

My complaint was just this idea that it was desirable to effectively remove
logging.  With OTR it's quite possible to have 100% of your contacts
encrypted, even the technophobe elois... and removing loved functionality
would be a great way to break that.

> It seems to me that signaling that users are logging would be a nice
> addition - if you violate my privacy by logging me, I'd like to know;
> that is far from perfect but surely it would create some interesting
> social discussions!

I'm sure that most of the time it would be "Hey, doofus, we probably
shouldn't log this conversation, turn it off"  "Oh, good point! Done."
"Thanks".