[OTR-users] help: pure-python-otr for custom protocol

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Feb 28 23:05:54 EST 2012

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012, anonymouscr at riseup.net wrote:

> We, Anonymous Costa Rica have been working on a custom protocol called
> SpiderMonkey and we decided to implement it on Python. Basically, a
> computer running the protocol is able to send messages through the TOR
> network using the .onion address of the receiving computer. but, for sake
> of confidentially in the TOR network, we need to encrypt the sending data.
> We decided first to use GnuPG, but, now we decided to deploy OTR on our
> code.

I don't know what this protocol is supposed to send, so it is hard to
advise you. But when you think you need a protocol, you should really
think twice. You're not the first to resolve certain problems.

You are either doing something with high latency, low traffic, like
IM chats, in which case why not use OTR over Jabber to a .onion. Or you
are using something high latency with bulk traffic, in which case TLS
might be better suited.

Whether those solutions are again tunneled over TOR should not matter,
as long as you're using TCP.

> The problem is, there isn't enough documentation about deploying OTR with
> any protocol and/or custom protocols like our project SpiderMonkey as far
> as we searched through the web. May can anybody in the otr-user list gave
> us documentation about this issues and/or code examples deploying
> pure-python-otr?

I believe there is some python otr code floating around?

Paul