[OTR-users] help: pure-python-otr for custom protocol

anonymouscr at riseup.net anonymouscr at riseup.net
Tue Feb 28 23:58:30 EST 2012

Thanks for your reply.

> We, Anonymous Costa Rica have been working on a custom protocol called
> > SpiderMonkey and we decided to implement it on Python. Basically, a
> > computer running the protocol is able to send messages through the TOR
> > network using the .onion address of the receiving computer. but, for sake
> > of confidentially in the TOR network, we need to encrypt the sending
data.
> > We decided first to use GnuPG, but, now we decided to deploy OTR on our
> > code.
>
> I don't know what this protocol is supposed to send, so it is hard to
> advise you.

The protocol will deal with encrypted data, that's for sure, the data to
encrypt is a dict object type converted to a JSON string with
json.dumps(), basically, that's all the "magic" If you have something to
say about that, please let us know. Be aware, We need to change some parts
in the specifications of the protocol and translate it to English in order
to share it here if any one is curious about SpiderMonkey, but it will
take some time to be accomplished.

> But when you think you need a protocol, you should really
> think twice. You're not the first to resolve certain problems.
>
> You are either doing something with high latency, low traffic, like
> IM chats, in which case why not use OTR over Jabber to a .onion. Or you
> are using something high latency with bulk traffic, in which case TLS
> might be better suited.

Thanks for the warning, but, our protocol is more than a IM Chat. We are
actually dealing with the encryption issue, and reading the Wikipedia,
looks like TLS is a very good option, we gonna study the possibility of
use it to our proposes.

> Whether those solutions are again tunneled over TOR should not matter,
> as long as you're using TCP.
> We are aware of that issue, thanks.

Thanks for your time and help, Paul Wouters.
--
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.

¿Facebook? No, gracias!.