[OTR-users] Pidgin-OTR Logging Behaviour

Byrd, Brendan Byrd.B at insightcom.com
Wed Feb 1 13:45:10 EST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: otr-users-bounces at lists.cypherpunks.ca [mailto:otr-users-bounces at lists.cypherpunks.ca] On Behalf Of Rob Smits
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 10:58 AM
To: OTR-users at lists.cypherpunks.ca
Subject: [OTR-users] Pidgin-OTR Logging Behaviour

> We've had some suggestions to change Pidgin-OTR's default behaviour with respect to logging OTR conversations. We would
> appreciate some feedback and ideas.

Speaking from my personal usage, I have (and want) everything logged, but I also have a TrueCrypt volume to put all of my Pidgin data into.

> Here are some possible changes:
> -Keep current default behaviour, but always output a message like the following when an OTR conversation is started:  This
> conversation is being saved/not being saved (depending on current settings).

May or may not be annoying, since it's yet another line of information in the chat window.  On the flip side, a reminder that the conversation is being saved or not might be useful to some.

> -Change current default behaviour to explicitly disable logging for OTR conversations, and output the above message.

That would be a change from what is currently there and would be annoying, especially if people have a hard time finding the option to turn it back on.

> -When an OTR conversation starts, explicitly ask the user whether they wish to log OTR conversations (if no Pidgin-OTR
> logging preference is found), and perhaps output the above message. Once the user provides an answer, future OTR
> conversations will not trigger this prompt.

I think this is the best solution.  The wording should be clear enough to indicate that you're asking about logging ALL conversations from OTR.

--
Brendan Byrd <byrd.b at insightcom.com>
System Integration Analyst (NOC Web Developer)