[OTR-users] Pidgin-OTR Logging Behaviour

Doug Breaux breaux at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Feb 1 13:29:12 EST 2012

On 2/1/2012 9:57 AM, Rob Smits wrote:
 > We've had some suggestions to change Pidgin-OTR's default behaviour with
 > respect to logging OTR conversations. We would appreciate some feedback
 > and ideas.
 >
 > Pidgin-OTR has an option to disable logging for OTR conversations. This
 > option by default is not enabled. As I understand it, Pidgin for Windows
 > has IM logging enabled by default (and so the default behaviour is that
 > OTR conversations would be logged). Pidgin for Linux does not have IM
 > logging enabled by default (so the default behaviour is that OTR
 > conversations wouldn't be logged).
 >
 > Regards,
 > Rob

Many good comments so far. I agree that I care almost entirely about
encrypted communication, not about logs on my drive. So as long as I can
default to what I'm doing today - always logging without having to be
prompted for it - I'll be content.

That said, if it was easy and non-intrusive to see and change whether a
particular conversation was being logged, I'd probably like that and
occasionally use it. (For me, that would most likely be unrelated to OTR
specifically, but I can understand why it logically "belongs to" OTR for
others.)

If possible, I'd vote for an iconic indicator, beside or combined with
the current privacy status icon, and another menu item there to toggle
whatever is the user's default setting.

Doug