[OTR-users] pidgin-otr installer unable to find pidgin on Windows

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Mon Sep 6 11:48:34 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 11:08:48AM -0400, Gangadhar Nittala wrote:
> Thank you for the reply Ian. I checked the registry and the pidgin key
> is available here
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\pidgin
> And the (Default) key is set to the location of the pidgin
> installation - C:\Users\username\program files\Pidgin
>
> The HKLM (which IIRC) was the location for the earlier installations
> doesn't seem to have the key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\pidgin - doesn't exist.
>
> I am not sure if this is something the pidgin folks changed recently.
> Should I create an entry in HKLM\Software\pidgin identical to the one
> in HKCU\Software\pidgin ? Would that be enough to install the plugin ?

The installer is looking in both HKLM and HKCU for Software\pidgin.
So it looks like it should be finding the HKCU one.  I don't know why it
wouldn't be.  But go ahead and try your idea and see if it works.

If not, you may need to grab the zip file instead of the installer, and
put the files in the right places yourself?

http://otr.cypherpunks.ca/binaries/windows/pidgin-otr-3.2.0.zip

[ http://otr.cypherpunks.ca/binaries/windows/pidgin-otr-3.2.0.zip.asc
is the PGP signature for that file.]