[OTR-users] pidgin-otr installer unable to find pidgin on Windows

Gangadhar Nittala npk.gangadhar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 12:26:59 EDT 2010

I added the HKLM\Software\pidgin entry in the registry and the
installer was able to find the pidgin location and the installation
went fine. I was able to import my backed up .purple directory and the
known fingerprints were recognized. Thank you for your help Ian.

Also, I want to document the procedure for a non-installer version of
the plugin. Please let me know if the following steps are what the
installer does
1. Create a pidgin-otr folder to store the pidgin-otr specific files
2. Download the pidgin-otr-3.2.0 from here -
http://otr.cypherpunks.ca/binaries/windows/pidgin-otr-3.2.0.zip
3. Extract the contents of the folder into the pidgin-otr folder
4. Copy the pidgin-otr.dll to the plugins folder of the directory
where pidgin was installed

What I am not sure of though is
1. Are the locale entries required ? After the installation succeeded,
in the pidgin-otr folder I don't see the locale folder
2. How does pidgin know to check the otr_* files that are present in
the pidgin-otr installation directory ? I am not sure how pidgin uses
them.

Also, if you can please add a link on the home page to download the
Windows binaries too (alongside the source tarball), it will be
helpful.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Gangadhar