[OTR-users] Authentication Errors

Dan Bondarev chefbender at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 15:02:49 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:27 AM, Dan Bondarev <chefbender at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pidgin: 2.5.5
> otr: 3.2.0.1
> os: winxp
> protocol: ...not sure but it's aim connecting to
> login.messaging.aol.com:5190
> my friend has the exact same setup
>

> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Ananda Samaddar <
> ananda.samaddar at vfemail.net> wrote:
>
>> Dan Bondarev wrote:
>> > I'm trying to authenticate a conversation, and otr keeps getting stuck
>> on
>> > 'waiting for buddy...' during the auth. process.
>> > I'm using *pidin 2.5.5 and otr 3.2.0.1 on winxp, so is my friend,
>> > conversation is over aim*
>> > After either one of us sends a question/answer or shared secret request
>> and
>> > the other answers, it just hangs there for a while before saying there
>> was
>> > an error with authentication.  Unfortunately manual authentication is
>> not an
>> > option at the moment.
>> > Strange thing is, everything worked fine earlier with another buddy,
>> almost
>> > exactly the same conditions, but no error
>> > Thanks for any help,
>> >    -Dan
>> >

>> We need to know what version of Pidgin and OTR your friend is using and
>> what IM protocol you're using too.
>>

>> Ananda

Pidgin: 2.5.5otr: 3.2.0.1
os: winxp
protocol: ...not sure but it's aim connecting to
login.messaging.aol.com:5190
my friend has the exact same setup

Shared Secret and Question/Answer authentication both failed, but manual
fingerprint confirmation worked
Authentication works normally on google chat accounts in pidgin, and I can
authenticate fine on aim with other users.
Not sure if this is indicative of anything, but the progress bar for
authentication gets stuck at a very early point before timing out.  He's on
a corporate network, but I can't get too much more info than that on his
connection for obvious reasons.
Thanks again,
     -Dan