[OTR-users] Authentication Errors

Ananda Samaddar ananda.samaddar at vfemail.net
Thu Mar 19 16:15:16 EDT 2009

Dan Bondarev wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:27 AM, Dan Bondarev <chefbender at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Pidgin: 2.5.5
>> otr: 3.2.0.1
>> os: winxp
>> protocol: ...not sure but it's aim connecting to
>> login.messaging.aol.com:5190
>> my friend has the exact same setup
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Ananda Samaddar <
>> ananda.samaddar at vfemail.net> wrote:

>>> on
>>> and
>>> was
>>> not an
>>> almost
>>>>
>>> We need to know what version of Pidgin and OTR your friend is using and
>>> what IM protocol you're using too.
>>>

>>> Ananda
>>
> Pidgin: 2.5.5otr: 3.2.0.1
> os: winxp
> protocol: ...not sure but it's aim connecting to
> login.messaging.aol.com:5190
> my friend has the exact same setup
>
> Shared Secret and Question/Answer authentication both failed, but manual
> fingerprint confirmation worked
> Authentication works normally on google chat accounts in pidgin, and I can
> authenticate fine on aim with other users.
> Not sure if this is indicative of anything, but the progress bar for
> authentication gets stuck at a very early point before timing out.  He's on
> a corporate network, but I can't get too much more info than that on his
> connection for obvious reasons.
> Thanks again,
>      -Dan

So you're saying that under the same conditions with your friend on
corporate network you can authenticate over Gtalk (which is just jabber
anyway)?  To be honest you might want to just consider using that
instead of proprietary crap like the AIM service anyway.  If your friend
is behind a corporate network he can sign up for an account at jabber80.com.

Ananda