[OTR-users] Puzzling behaviour in XP with AIM 6

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Mon Jan 12 08:17:30 EST 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 11:09:12AM -0500, Basaslan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am an avid user of pidgin and otr, however others I know for
> mysterious reasons refuse to use pidgin and instead prefer closed
> source messaging solutions such as AIM 6 for the windows platforms.
> Said users are not always the most tech-savy, and hence I was recently
> attempting to do a screencast to help out said users with setting up
> the otrproxy software.
>
> However, I myself ran into technical difficulties myself, as the
> otrproxy seems to be lacking mysteriously important
> components/instructions. Running on an XP SP3 machine with all the
> updates installed, a Windows Firewall (disabled), Comodo (Firewall
> disabled), Avast and Norton Antivirus (no firewall to speak of) and
> AIM 6, simply starting the "otrproxy.exe" brings up a gui when either
> double clicked or run from the command line, and setting AIM 6 to a
> socks5 proxy at 127.0.0.1 with port 1080 does nothing for me...

Can you try "telnet 127.0.0.1 1080" from a command line (assuming you
have a telnet command-line client installed) and see if there's indeed
something listening?  You can also try launching otrproxy from a command
line and see if it outputs anything helpful.

Unfortunately, we've got no one actively working on otrproxy right now,
so it's bound to get a little stale.  :-(