[OTR-users] Puzzling behaviour in XP with AIM 6

Basaslan lorddefinitia at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 11:09:12 EST 2009

Greetings,

I am an avid user of pidgin and otr, however others I know for
mysterious reasons refuse to use pidgin and instead prefer closed
source messaging solutions such as AIM 6 for the windows platforms.
Said users are not always the most tech-savy, and hence I was recently
attempting to do a screencast to help out said users with setting up
the otrproxy software.

However, I myself ran into technical difficulties myself, as the
otrproxy seems to be lacking mysteriously important
components/instructions. Running on an XP SP3 machine with all the
updates installed, a Windows Firewall (disabled), Comodo (Firewall
disabled), Avast and Norton Antivirus (no firewall to speak of) and
AIM 6, simply starting the "otrproxy.exe" brings up a gui when either
double clicked or run from the command line, and setting AIM 6 to a
socks5 proxy at 127.0.0.1 with port 1080 does nothing for me...I've
tried changing it to https and 8080, but that doesn't seem to make any
difference. Help, please? AIM 6 connects fine without the proxy, and
there doesn't seem to be any way to verify whether otrproxy is
actually running, much less any instructions or tools to get it
working. I've tried searching on the web, but google seems heavily
biased towards mac users :(

Again, help would be appreciated, this is not as much for my sake as
for getting other obstinate users to use encryption, so that I myself
and others may communicate securely with them.

Thanks In Advance