[OTR-users] OTR support for bitlbee

ChazeFroy chazefroy at gmail.com
Mon May 19 07:54:08 EDT 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:

> I looked into this a while ago, talked to some of the CenterIM people,
> because I like CenterIM's interface (and that of CenterICQ, which I had
> discovered first back in 2003).  Apparently, the OTR support was only for
> one protocol, and was less than perfectly stable because nobody's
> supporting that functionality now.  That, at least, is the impression I
> got from speaking to several of the CenterIM folks in IRC last year.

That's what I've read from CenterIM's website, too.  Bitlbee seems to
support more than one protocol, which is a good thing.

I used Bitlbee with OTR for about 24 hours and it seemed fine 99% of
the time.  However, it seemed that when it got an unexpected OTR
message, it would disconnect completely from the network.  If it ran
into this issue during the first session after you initially set up
your account (without quitting or bouncing it), it would even forget
your account details (username, network, everything).  I have not yet
filed a bug report because I cannot reliably reproduce it.

Hopefully this random bug will get fixed once the OTR code makes its
way into the official distribution.