[OTR-users] OTR support for bitlbee

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun May 18 13:46:00 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 09:23:49PM -0400, ChazeFroy wrote:
> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Jonathan Schleifer
> <js-otrim at webkeks.org> wrote:
> >
> > It's for example listed on Wikipedia. And no, I mean centericq.
>
> Centericq does not have it, but Centerim (http://www.centerim.org)
> does.  According to its changelog, it looks like Centerim added OTR
> support for Jabber in August 2007.  Does it work with Oscar, Yahoo,
> MSN, etc?
>
> Could somebody update the OTR webpage to list both Centerim and
> Bitlbee as supporting OTR now?

I looked into this a while ago, talked to some of the CenterIM people,
because I like CenterIM's interface (and that of CenterICQ, which I had
discovered first back in 2003).  Apparently, the OTR support was only for
one protocol, and was less than perfectly stable because nobody's
supporting that functionality now.  That, at least, is the impression I
got from speaking to several of the CenterIM folks in IRC last year.

If there's more/new information suggesting that it works with more
protocols, I'd love to hear it.  I, unfortunately, don't have the time
and familiarity right now to improve OTR support in CenterIM myself, but
I'd love to see that support improve so I could finally ditch Pidgin.

I recall choosing to forego Bitlbee for some reason, but don't remember
why.  I guess I'll have another look at it and see if it's something I
want to use now.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Leon Festinger: "A man with a conviction is a hard man to change. Tell him