[OTR-users] Plugin does not show up in Pidgin

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Thu Apr 3 03:39:35 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 22:41:46 -0400
Michael Goerz <goerz at physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to install the pidgin-otr-3.1.0 plugin from source on a SuSE
> 10.3 system, by doing
> configure
> make
> make install
> The output from all three commands is in the attachment. However, the
> Plugin does not appear in the Pidgin plugin list. This is Pidgin version
> 2.4.1, compiled from source. I already tried to create a symbolic link
> /usr/local/lib/pidgin/pidgin-otr.so
> /usr/local/lib/pidgin/pidgin-otr.la
> in my ~/.purple/plugins folder, but that had no effect. Any advice?

I'm not familiar with the SuSE pidgin installation, but if pidgin is
not looking in /usr/local/lib/pidgin/ or ~/.purple/plugins then it
won't be seeing the .so files it wants, so that's the reason.

You need to do something like rpm -qa | grep pidgin and see where
any .so files are by then doing rpm -ql <package-name> from the results
of the grep. You can modify the search path for libraries with
ldconfig, but the fundamental problem is the libraries are clearly not
where they should be.

On Fedora 7 pidgin plugins are in /usr/lib64/pidgin
and /usr/lib64/purple-2, since SuSE and Fedora are rpm based it is
likely, although not certain, that their packages are set up in a
similar way.

HTH.

--

Brian Morrison

bdm at fenrir dot org dot uk

   "Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud;
    after a while you realize you are muddy and the pig is enjoying it."

GnuPG key ID DE32E5C5 - http://wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/wwwkeys.html