[OTR-users] Plugin does not show up in Pidgin

Michael Goerz goerz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Apr 3 11:23:06 EDT 2008

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008, Brian Morrison wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 22:41:46 -0400
> Michael Goerz <goerz at physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried to install the pidgin-otr-3.1.0 plugin from source on a SuSE
> > 10.3 system, by doing
> > configure
> > make
> > make install
> > The output from all three commands is in the attachment. However, the
> > Plugin does not appear in the Pidgin plugin list. This is Pidgin version
> > 2.4.1, compiled from source. I already tried to create a symbolic link
> > /usr/local/lib/pidgin/pidgin-otr.so
> > /usr/local/lib/pidgin/pidgin-otr.la
> > in my ~/.purple/plugins folder, but that had no effect. Any advice?
>
> I'm not familiar with the SuSE pidgin installation, but if pidgin is
> not looking in /usr/local/lib/pidgin/ or ~/.purple/plugins then it
> won't be seeing the .so files it wants, so that's the reason.
It's not the standard SuSE installation (not the RPM from the package
management) I installed the latest Pidgin from the source tgz.

There are working plugins in both these directories, which also show up
in the Pidgin Plugin dialog.

> You need to do something like rpm -qa | grep pidgin and see where
> any .so files are by then doing rpm -ql <package-name> from the results
> of the grep. You can modify the search path for libraries with
> ldconfig, but the fundamental problem is the libraries are clearly not
> where they should be.
I wonder... they seem to be in the right directory.

> On Fedora 7 pidgin plugins are in /usr/lib64/pidgin
> and /usr/lib64/purple-2, since SuSE and Fedora are rpm based it is
> likely, although not certain, that their packages are set up in a
> similar way.
Yeah, but no RPM here.

Michael