[OTR-users] @developers, may I create a german OTR website?

Thomas B. Tommy.B at gmx.net
Tue Feb 20 16:57:14 EST 2007

Hi!

readytogo2 wrote:
> I did not get to be familar with gettext yet. Some other german was
> willing to help with gettext. Can`t find this mail anymore. First I
> wanted to figure all messages from otr which a user may see at some
> point. is printf the only thing I have to look out for? I could/want to
> translate everything else and to speak to those german guy so we can
> give you a full translation of otr.

I think that other German was me ;-)
I've written a patch for gaim-otr that adds internationalisation and
sent it to the otr-dev mailing list some days ago. I've attached it
again to this mail. If anyone wants to test it, feel free to do so. I'll
be glad to receive comments and suggestions about the patch.

If you want to test it, here's how to do it (at least for Linux users, I
haven't tried compiling gaim-otr under Windows or other platforms yet):
Get the CVS source of gaim-otr (e.g. from Sourceforge), extract the
attached tarball into the gaim-otr directory, apply the patch and
configure gaim-otr, for example with "makedist" (you'll need intltool
installed in addition to the packages usually needed to compile gaim-otr
from CVS). You should then be able to compile gaim-otr (hopefully
without errors).
If that works so far, you can then add new translations with the
following steps: Go to the "po" subdirectory and execute
"../intltool-update --pot". That will extract all translateable messages
from the gaim-otr source and put it into a PO template file called
"gaim-otr.pot". You can then copy that file to a new PO file for your
language (e.g. "de.po") and start translating. If you want the
translation to be built with the rest of the package, put that PO file
into the "po" directory, add the language code to the ALL_LINGUAS
variable in configure.ac, do a "autoreconf" and rebuild gaim-otr.

Thomas