[OTR-users] Gaim OTR is only for' geeks', to complicated for regular users, suggestion.....

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Wed Feb 21 00:00:35 EST 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Alex wrote:

>  "If you really want many usrs to use encrypted messages we need
> something really easy. Setting up proxy or using other clients is not
> really a way to solve this."

We can't make the plugin easier then it is already. It already does
"opportunistic encryption" meaning it will find other OTR clients
automatically. It's up to the IM software or community to incorporate
the protocol and/or plugins.

> I wanted him (readytogo2) to see that SimpLite DOES indeed use a
> proxy just as OTR can. The screenshot helps him see the proxy in action.
> What he doesn't realize is that all SimpLite does is set some
> configuration settings (via registry or otherwise) to FORCE the program
> (AIM, gaim, etc) use the proxy. I personally hate this "feature"

It is also very insecure, since I assume (without looking at the screenshot)
that the user cannot really see whehter or not a current conversation is
encrypted, since the IM client itself is not aware of any of these special
proxy features. This is why there is gaim-otr, and not just otrproxy.

Paul