[OTR-users] jabber jingle

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 16:38:04 EST 2005

On 12/16/05, CLAY SHENTRUP <CLAY at brokenladder.com> wrote:
> Well, after all the evangelism I've done in support of SIP for IP telephony,
> it turns out that Google has backed open extensions to XMPP (Jabber) to
> enabled voip.  Not only is this essentially what's already used in Google
> Talk (which will eventually be totally open and compatible with other Jabber
> networks), it's simple to implement (much simpler than SIP) and better with
> firewalls.
>
> Gaim 2 is supposed to support Jingle eventually, using none other than
> libjingle.  I think it would be awesome to see the fundamentals of OTR
> applied to this in some way that is suitable for voice.  Is this anything
> any of the developers think would be interesting?
>
> My opinion is that with Google backing it, and with its open nature, Jingle
> looks like it's going to be the eventual de facto standard for VoIP.  Maybe
> that's premature, but it makes a lot of sense.  Gaim 2 is supposed to be
> wicked.  OTR supplemented VoIP would be even more wicked.

I think cryptography for voice is essential. Unfortunate the reality
of things is such that we really can't provide the same cryptographic
behavior in regard to repudiation with voice that we can provide with
IM.

It would not be much work to use an OTR protected channel to exchange
a session key for voice, but care must be taken to ensure that the
session key does not reduce the repudiation for the voice call.

Lobbying should be done with google *now* to make sure the right
support is in place in the majority of the clients for encrypted
voice.