[OTR-users] jabber jingle

CLAY SHENTRUP CLAY at BROKENLADDER.COM
Fri Dec 16 14:21:47 EST 2005

Well, after all the evangelism I've done in support of SIP for IP telephony,
it turns out that Google has backed open extensions to XMPP (Jabber) to
enabled voip.  Not only is this essentially what's already used in Google
Talk (which will eventually be totally open and compatible with other Jabber
networks), it's simple to implement (much simpler than SIP) and better with
firewalls.

Gaim 2 is supposed to support Jingle eventually, using none other than
libjingle.  I think it would be awesome to see the fundamentals of OTR
applied to this in some way that is suitable for voice.  Is this anything
any of the developers think would be interesting?

My opinion is that with Google backing it, and with its open nature, Jingle
looks like it's going to be the eventual de facto standard for VoIP.  Maybe
that's premature, but it makes a lot of sense.  Gaim 2 is supposed to be
wicked.  OTR supplemented VoIP would be even more wicked.

Thanks,
Clay

--
Here's an idea that would save the world:  I think, we should get some large
magnetic rings and attach wires to them such that one wire is attached to

—NATE OBORNY, TALKING ABOUT A GIRL WHO DOESN'T BELIEVE IN GLOBAL WARMING