[OTR-dev] mpOTR and the road ahead ...?

Guy K. Kloss gk at mega.co.nz
Tue Jan 21 20:27:39 EST 2014

Hi all,

so, there's been lots of talk recently about mpOTR (or whatever will
come out of it, maybe in the form of some kind of mpENC ...). Many posts
were deferring to face-to-face discussions at the recent RWC [1].

As somebody who didn't attend RWC, and only read some interesting record
snap shot of opinions on PiratePad [1], I'm keen to find out more about
what the state of the discussion around mpOTR is. Have there been more
meetings? Maybe some more meeting notes? Has somebody aggregated some
kind of plan or consensus for further work?

I really liked the kind of momentum that could be injected by Nadim's
shout out recently. But it got a bit quite after a whole bunch of
those not present at RWC or 30C3 [2] would be highly appreciated.

After reading [1], I thought that a solution to the ordering criteria in
presence of potential clock skew could be to use vector timestamps [3]
complemented by a common agreed rule to sort messages that have to be
considered concurrent according to the vector timestamps. And I think
this type of ordering could be sufficient, but that of course largely
depends on how the communication protocol and it's constraints will be
designed.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear and/or discuss things, just need some kind of
input through the list.

Guy

[1] http://piratepad.net/AV5fQQf72U
[2] http://piratepad.net/xCsrJ1xFUE