[OTR-dev] Pidgin protocol integration

Moritz Warning moritzwarning at web.de
Wed Oct 16 20:23:46 EDT 2013

On 10/16/2013 11:35 PM, Ian Goldberg wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 11:11:40AM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Oct 2013, Moritz Warning wrote:
>>
>>> I've made a simple Pidgin protocol plugin and
>>> it would be nice to be able to use it in combination
>>> with pidgin-otr.
>>
>> As far as I know, there is no "preference" in the line of plugins. So
>> you never know whether or not your plugin will be called before or after
>> the otr plugin. So unless you hook directly into the otr_plugin itself,
>> I think you have an unfixable problem.
That should be no problem. The protocol is not intended
to be a dependency of OTR. But if it is used I would
like to make the most out of it.

> I don't think that's the case for *protocol* plugins (prpl-aim,
> prpl-xmpp, etc.).  Those are plugins that deal with the IM network.
>
>>> Currently it only transfers plain text over UDP packets
>>> and get "?OTR?v2?" etc. displayed when OTR tries to initialize
>>> the session.
>>
>> So it looks like you get the message content before the otr plugin got
>> it?
>
> Be sure you're raising the message_receiving and message_sending signals
> where you're supposed to.  (I think those aren't the exact names,
> though.)  But I've also never written a protocol plugin, so I don't know
> the exact details.

It looks like I miss these. Thanks for the hint. :-)

>>> I would also like to know when a fingerprint does not
>>> match since I might get multiple IP addresses for a buddy
>>> at program startup and behind all but one are other people.
>>
>> The otr_plugin has different states displayed in the bottom right. One of
>> these is "unverified" which means it could not map the key/fingerprint
>> to an existing verified key/fingerprint. Once you have verified it with
>> your buddy, it should show up as "private".

I will take a deeper look when the rest is working.
Hopefully I will have some secure communications running
along with a distributed hash table for finding the other contact.