[OTR-dev] Pidgin protocol integration

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Wed Oct 16 17:35:05 EDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 11:11:40AM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Oct 2013, Moritz Warning wrote:
>
> >I've made a simple Pidgin protocol plugin and
> >it would be nice to be able to use it in combination
> >with pidgin-otr.
>
> As far as I know, there is no "preference" in the line of plugins. So
> you never know whether or not your plugin will be called before or after
> the otr plugin. So unless you hook directly into the otr_plugin itself,
> I think you have an unfixable problem.

I don't think that's the case for *protocol* plugins (prpl-aim,
prpl-xmpp, etc.).  Those are plugins that deal with the IM network.

> >Currently it only transfers plain text over UDP packets
> >and get "?OTR?v2?" etc. displayed when OTR tries to initialize
> >the session.
>
> So it looks like you get the message content before the otr plugin got
> it?

Be sure you're raising the message_receiving and message_sending signals
where you're supposed to.  (I think those aren't the exact names,
though.)  But I've also never written a protocol plugin, so I don't know
the exact details.

> >I would also like to know when a fingerprint does not
> >match since I might get multiple IP addresses for a buddy
> >at program startup and behind all but one are other people.
>
> The otr_plugin has different states displayed in the bottom right. One of
> these is "unverified" which means it could not map the key/fingerprint
> to an existing verified key/fingerprint. Once you have verified it with
> your buddy, it should show up as "private".
>
> One feature that _would_ be nice is that when you have multiple keys and
> conversations with different accounts (folderd into one buddy alias)
> that the otr plugin would signal to pidgin to "prefer" the "private"
> conversation over an "unverified" one.

That is in fact the default behaviour in 4.0.0.  If you have multiple
simultaneous conversations going in one window, it will (by default)
send to the most recent most secure one.  (But you can change that with
the menu at the top.)