[OTR-dev] OTR message delivery acknowledgement

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Sun Feb 24 21:11:10 EST 2013

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013, Vlad Ion wrote:

> I am using ORT with Pidgin and I seem to be losing messages whenever the wifi connection is acting up.
>
> It would be absolutely amazing if OTR could also do some hash of the message and expect a reply with that hash within
> 5-10 seconds and a failure to receive that hash would instantly let the sending party know their message was not
> delivered. This would drastically increase the reliability of these encrypted messages.

How would that be different from non-encrypted messages? I don't think
OTR should do anything specific here. OTR just provides privacy on top
of the existing transport.

If you are seeing message loss only when using OTR, there is a bug that
would need fixing. There was one with libotr/irssi-otr. The symptoms
were that long messages (over 20 characters or so) are lost

Paul