[OTR-dev] 4.0.0-rc3 ready to roll. Please try it out!

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Wed Aug 29 17:33:30 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 03:40:19PM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2012, Ian Goldberg wrote:
>
> >OK, 4.0.0-rc3 is ready.
> >
> >**Please give it a try, and give feedback!**
>
> So far, seems good.
>
> I noticed a warning, which is not new to libotr-4, but might be good
> to look at:
>
> libotr.x86_64: W: shared-lib-calls-exit /usr/lib64/libotr.so.5.0.0 exit at GLIBC_2.2.5
>
> That's controversial at least. Is there a well founded reason for this?
> The call is in otrl_init() when detecting incomptabile versions. Exiting
> the problem, instead of just having the non-functional plugin seems a
> little harsh?

Indeed, that's what Thibaut noticed, and I sent a patch to correct
already.  Please try the patch and let us know whether it makes the
problem go away for you as well.  I intend to merge it into master
before 4.0.0 release (but have not yet done so).

> >(Packagers: don't yet distribute it, but do check that it builds with
> >your packaging system -- especially the new gcc/ld-hardening
> >CFLAGS/LDFLAGS.  Do note that the libotr so major number is now 5.)
>
> I'm looking at providing libotr3 and libotr packages, as I don't think
> all the apps will port their code to the new library in reasonable time.

Why "libotr3"?  It's version 4 of the library, and the soname is 5.  On
Debian-like systems, the old package was libotr2, and the new one will
be libotr5.

Thanks,