[OTR-dev] 4.0.0-rc3 ready to roll. Please try it out!

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Wed Aug 29 15:40:19 EDT 2012

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012, Ian Goldberg wrote:

> OK, 4.0.0-rc3 is ready.
>
> **Please give it a try, and give feedback!**

So far, seems good.

I noticed a warning, which is not new to libotr-4, but might be good
to look at:

libotr.x86_64: W: shared-lib-calls-exit /usr/lib64/libotr.so.5.0.0 exit at GLIBC_2.2.5

That's controversial at least. Is there a well founded reason for this?
The call is in otrl_init() when detecting incomptabile versions. Exiting
the problem, instead of just having the non-functional plugin seems a
little harsh?

> (Packagers: don't yet distribute it, but do check that it builds with
> your packaging system -- especially the new gcc/ld-hardening
> CFLAGS/LDFLAGS.  Do note that the libotr so major number is now 5.)

I'm looking at providing libotr3 and libotr packages, as I don't think
all the apps will port their code to the new library in reasonable time.

Paul