[OTR-dev] OTR support for Gajim

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Aug 23 18:46:17 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:13:18PM +0200, Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
> They don't care that they get error messages as HTML etc and just
> display them without specially handling them (because you can't). They
> are also missing a lot of features we have which would not have been
> possible anymore with the current libotr API without huge and hacky
> workarounds.
>
> I was the one removing OTR. I spent a lot of time to get it working
> properly, but that's not really possible if you are forced to parse
> strings containing HTML that are even localized to see if an error
> happened…

This was a very broken misfeature of the libotr API, and it's been fixed
for the next version.  Errors signalled by the library are now passed to
the application via error codes, and the application can do whatever it
likes (in whatever i18n) with them.

See, for example,
http://otr.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=otr/otr;a=blob;f=libotr/src/message.h;h=f2d1c7ac2429f0985bb85ef88b667c225522ba12;hb=HEAD