[OTR-dev] OTR support for Gajim

Sven Moritz Hallberg pesco at khjk.org
Mon Aug 22 17:03:33 EDT 2011

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 22:12:36 +0200, Jonathan Schleifer <js-otrim at webkeks.org> wrote:
> Actually, exactly the opposite is the case, if you look at the
> commit. There was a lot of code, but libotr just wants to be that
> three-line drop in, so you lose a lot of flexibility which you need to
> properly support XMPP with all it's features.

out of curiosity, what are examples of those XMPP features?

> I'm especially astonished to hear that it works in bitlbee without any
> effort, as there is no HTML parsing in bitlbee. Or is the
> implementation for bitlbee one of those where you suddenly see HTML as
> soon as something goes wrong?

i'd say it was without much *undue* effort. as for the HTML messages,
there is agreement i think that these are the big ugly part of libotr
that needs overhaul. however: there is code in bitlbee to display HTML
messages, because that's what you get from some transports. so we push
OTR's messages through that and display them.

what kind of cases did you encounter where you had to actually parse the
message to determine an error?

-pesco

PS. i apologize if my original comment came off as
condescending. apparently, as Kjell explained, a lot of the trouble had
to do with the C API being hard to interface into the Python world. i
thought the developer had just been lazy and annoyed when it became
clear you need to handle a bunch of stuff for this encryption shit. that
was arrogant. sorry.