[OTR-dev] OTR support for Gajim

Sven Moritz Hallberg pesco at khjk.org
Thu Aug 18 08:42:12 EDT 2011

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 06:16:19 -0600, Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce at gmail.com> wrote:
> According to http://trac.gajim.org/wiki/OTR, the OTR API is crap, and
> implementing it into a project seems to be somewhat of a chore. I would
> like to see OTR support built into Gajim, but it appears to be a deadend.
> As the article states, you can see the code he ripped out from the commit
> message here: http://trac.gajim.org/changeset/ef7496ee5eb2/.
>
> [...]
>
> So, is OTR v4 being worked on? Is the claim that the current API sucks
> accurate? It seems other projects, such as Pidgin and Bitlbee have
> implemented OTR just fine, so maybe the core devs either have issues with
> the Gajim code, or the OTR code that was written just sucked.

FWIW, being the one who coded the support for BitlBee, i didn't find
anything overly painful about the API. in fact i thought it felt pretty
good. i'm sure there are things that could be improved, like the whole
SMP logic that you have to basically copy and paste from the README, but
then again, that wasn't hard either.

obviously i don't know what the insides of Gajim look like. also i don't
know what that message ID thing is about. overall, to my gut it sounds i bit
like he expected a three-line drop-in that would just magically work for
the developer. and you're just not going to get that if the software
you're talking about is security software that is trying hard to
automagically work for the *user*.

-pesco