[OTR-dev] Pidgin plugin development and GUI look

Jonathan Schleifer js-otrim at webkeks.org
Mon May 26 13:51:14 EDT 2008

Ian Goldberg <ian at cypherpunks.ca> wrote:

> and we're still looking for input on what you'd like
> to see in the API.  This will definitely be a
> non-backwards-compatible API change, so that version should be 4.0.0.

That API should *never* return strings, but instead return error codes.
We're that pissed of about the current API of libotr that we have
thought about dropping OTR support completely in Gajim several times.
We lose messages etc. because libotr just gives us an event with HTML
included, which we only show as a status in the chat windows, which
thus won't be shown if the window is closed and will be lost. And with
the current API, we can't fix that. So the next release will be
definitely without any OTR support as we can't provide it in a usable
way with the current API. We will, however, keep the code in trunk so
we can update our code once libotr is fixed and usable, but before, it
will never be enabled for a release.

--
Jonathan