[OTR-dev] Displaying OTR errors (was Re: Hmmm.)

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Wed Jan 26 21:39:01 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 10:23:45AM -0600, Evan Schoenberg wrote:
> Sorry, I was not sufficiently specific.  I didn't mean that all
> errors are sent via inject_message, just that there are some which are
> and should not be.
>
> 9:30:30 <my buddy's name>: ?OTR Error: You sent unencrypted data to <my
> buddy's name>, who was expecting encrypted messages from you.
>
> 10:23:21 <my buddy's name>: ?OTR Error: You sent encrypted data to <my
> buddy's name>, who wasn't expecting it.
>
> 10:45:21 <my buddy's name>: The encrypted message received from  <my
> buddy's name> is unreadable, as you are not currently communicating
> privately.
>
> 10:46:10 <my buddy's name>: The following message received from  <my
> buddy's name> was not encrypted: [ok, I canceled encryption
>
> Those are four error conditions which are displayed as incoming
> messages.  The first and second are definitely errors, but they are
> presented as simple text received from the other person.

The first two *are* simple text received from the other person.  _His_
OTR-enabled client is the one that recognized that you sent him
unencrypted data (when he was expecting encrypted data), and sent you
back the plain old IM message "?OTR Error: You sent unencrypted data to
<my buddy's name>, who was expecting encrypted messages from you."

> The third I
> believe should be presented as an error, not a message, as it does not
> contain message text.

That's the one we changed from a popup to an inlined message early on,
as it was annoying people.  But I agree that it more "correctly" should
be out-of-band.