[OTR-dev] Queuing of messages before the connection is established

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Feb 8 11:06:55 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 01:02:54PM +0100, Paul Wouters wrote:
> Opportunistic is not an advertised property (yet?), so when one end
> restarts, it can only either 1) try OTR blindly, or 2) send first msg
> with the whitespace probe.
>
> However, you are right that a changed behaviour would be nice.  One
> could argue that we would like to try the reverse:
>
> If we have talked OTR to someone before, and we just come up and do
> not know the OTR status of that person, try OTR. Or make it more
> general, and say try using the last state used. Though I'd prefer it
> to try OTR if it knows the other end has spoken it before. I'd rather
> err on the presumed security, then send too much unencrypted messages.

The last thing we want is for people to get annoyed by overt OTR probes
when they don't support it.  If there's someone you only want to talk to
privately, use ALWAYS.  Alternately, when you reconnect, say "hi", or
something else innocuous.  If OTR is supported by both ends, it'll
start.  If not, no harm done.