[OTR-dev] Queuing of messages before the connection is established

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Tue Feb 8 12:08:02 EST 2005

On Feb 8, 2005, at 10:06 AM, Ian Goldberg wrote:

> The last thing we want is for people to get annoyed by overt OTR probes
> when they don't support it.

I had an awful experience last night when talking with a buddy who was,
like me, in OPPORTUNISTIC.  He had never used OTR, had no idea what a
fingerprint was, so kept clicking No as he was prompted after each
message to accept my fingerprint (getting progressively annoyed in the
process).  After a while of this, I told him, "Look, just accept it,"
and clicked my "Initiate OTR conversation" button... after which point
I was sending encrypted messages which he still couldn't receive.  Then
he accepted my fingerprint, and I was sending 'malformed data packets'.
  Finally, I canceled the OTR session.  The next message I received from
him automatically restarted it, this time with it working properly.

-Evan