[OTR-users] Pidgin notifications and unencrypted messages.

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Oct 8 19:11:23 EDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 04:21:17PM -0700, tecknicaltom wrote:
> The announcement for pidgin-otr and libotr 4.0.0 [1] says:
>
> * During a private conversation with a buddy, an incoming unencrypted
>   message will now trigger the regular incoming message notifications.
>   In Pidgin this includes showing the message in the top-right
>   notification area, if it is normally configured to do so.
>
> I'm not seeing this behavior though, and I frequently miss messages
> due to missing notifications. The way it normally works is:
>
> 1. I leave my conversations open with OTR sessions for long periods
> of time, including suspending my laptop.
> 2. While I'm not online, a friend ends the conversation or restarts their client.
> 3. They later send me a message that is unencrypted.
> 4. I receive the message, but with the warning "The following
> message received from name was not encrypted"
> 5. Pidgin does not notify of the new message. Specifically, the icon
> in the docklet does not change, the text on the IM tab does not
> change color, and the "Message Notification" plugin does not change
> the IM window title or issue the URGENT hint.
>
> I've tried looking through the commits before the releases to
> identify the change that is supposed to have fixed this bug, but I
> cannot find it. I am willing to attempt to debug the issue, but a
> nudge in the right direction would be a big help. Can somebody
> please point me to the commit that fixed this issue, and/or confirm
> that the issue is fixed, was never fixed, or a regression?

It looks to me like that functionality was added in:

commit c276bfa786bef8a4572a37d5633cf40f480d3ae0
Author: Rob Smits <rdfsmits at cs.uwaterloo.ca>
Date:   Wed May 2 17:28:16 2012 -0400

by the new call to the new otrg_emit_msg_received function (renamed in a
later commit to just emit_msg_received and made static).

So check to see whether that function is getting called in your
situation.

Thanks for your report!