[OTR-users] Pidgin notifications and unencrypted messages.

tecknicaltom tecknicaltom at neg9.org
Wed Oct 7 19:21:17 EDT 2015

The announcement for pidgin-otr and libotr 4.0.0 [1] says:

* During a private conversation with a buddy, an incoming unencrypted
   message will now trigger the regular incoming message notifications.
   In Pidgin this includes showing the message in the top-right
   notification area, if it is normally configured to do so.

I'm not seeing this behavior though, and I frequently miss messages due to missing notifications.
The way it normally works is:

1. I leave my conversations open with OTR sessions for long periods of time, including suspending my
laptop.
2. While I'm not online, a friend ends the conversation or restarts their client.
3. They later send me a message that is unencrypted.
4. I receive the message, but with the warning "The following message received from name was not
encrypted"
5. Pidgin does not notify of the new message. Specifically, the icon in the docklet does not change,
the text on the IM tab does not change color, and the "Message Notification" plugin does not change
the IM window title or issue the URGENT hint.

I've tried looking through the commits before the releases to identify the change that is supposed
to have fixed this bug, but I cannot find it. I am willing to attempt to debug the issue, but a
nudge in the right direction would be a big help. Can somebody please point me to the commit that
fixed this issue, and/or confirm that the issue is fixed, was never fixed, or a regression?

Thanks.

For reference:
Linux, Pidgin 2.10.11, pidgin-otr 4.0.1, libotr 4.1.0

[1] https://lists.cypherpunks.ca/pipermail/otr-announce/2012-September/000058.html
--
-tecknicaltom
tecknicaltom at neg9.org