[OTR-users] Failure to initiate private conversation

Bits gsnqa6734n at snkmail.com
Tue Mar 17 11:02:24 EDT 2015

Maybe related, maybe not, but for about the last week I haven't been able
to get a new OTR conversation going in ICQ.  I and the people I chat with
have gotten these same symptoms: go to the OTR menu and select "Start
private conversation" or "Refresh private conversation" and we just get
the "Attempting to refresh the private conversation ..." message and
nothing else.  I get these same symptoms even when connecting from
different networks.

I've had this happen intermittently in the past and never have managed to
track down what's going on.  It's been happening for an unusually long
period of time now.  Ian's given these instructions for debugging this
before, but I'm not going to do them yet b/c I'd have to exit Pidgin and
end a private conversation that's currently working and I'm afraid I
wouldn't be able to get it back.

Basically just set Pidgin to connect to only one account then exit it and
start it back like:
	pidgin -d > out.txt

It'd also be useful to do a packet capture using something like Wireshark
at the same time.

FYI, I'm using pidgin-otr 4.0.1 which was announced here Oct 21, 2014.

--Bits

"Paul Gouin paul.gouin50-at-gmail.com |otr/Example Allow|"
<br9pvzsy4t at sneakemail.com> on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 10:44 -0400