[OTR-users] Failure to initiate private conversation

Paul Gouin paul.gouin50 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 10:44:23 EDT 2015

​Hi all,

Thanks to all those who contribute to this project.

I've been trying to set up pidgin-otr at work for communication with a
colleague on another site. My colleague runs ubuntu 14.04, I run xubuntu
(same version). We followed the tutorial provided at
https://securityinabox.org/en/guide/pidgin/windows

When either of us attempts to start a private conversation, pidgin displays
a message saying "Attempting to start a private conversation with
[identifier]...", but nothing
​ further seems to
​ happens.

I do, however, have the same XMPP account configured on a mobile device.
After I attempt to go private, I receive an answer on that device from my
colleague's machine, consisting of a very long string starting with ?OTR:

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Warning: I am something of
newbie, be prepared to exercise patience.

Best,

Paulo