[OTR-users] OTR Windows configuration & encryption key preservation

Goatied Guy goatiedguy at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 28 18:59:21 EDT 2014

Hello, I have been using the OTR Windows plugin version 4.00.1 for sometime now
with Pidgin and have had excellent results. However, I would now like to update
Pidgin to its newer version. Normally, I would completely uninstall a program
and then install the new version. I already have OTR installed in a completely
separate folder that is not related to nor under the Pidgin program installation
folder.

However, since OTR is a plugin for Pidgin Windows and I noticed that under the
Pidgin program folder that there's a subfolder called PLUGINS, I'm not sure if
OTR may still have some of its own files installed in the Pidgin plugins folder
and therefore have some concern that uninstalling Pidgin will remove some
components of OTR that will render it unuseable after the new Pidgin version is
installed. If anyone knows the answer to the following questions, I would
appreciate any information:

1. Does OTR install any of its own components into the Pidgin PLUGINS folder
even if OTR is installed in a completely separate folder from the outset?

2. Where on disc or in the Windows registry does OTR store its configuration
data and encryption keys saved, and what disc locations / folders or registry
keys must be preserved / protected?

3. Is it possible to completely uninstall OTR plugin for Windows and reinstall
it but STILL PRESERVE previously stored keys / settings that was used in an
earlier but uninstalled OTR plugin version?

It would nice to know how I could separately upgrade Pidgin without having to
touch or affect OTR configuration data and saved encryption keys.

Thanks for any help.