[OTR-users] Pretty-please standardize OTR signature storage, per OS.

subharo at hushmail.com subharo at hushmail.com
Tue Sep 10 13:48:59 EDT 2013

Hello Tamme,

So far I like your approach.  I've never heard of py2exe before,
but you seem to have done your research WRT the options for using
Python in Windows.  If py2exe is good enough for BitTorrent, then
it's good enough for me.

BTW: before getting started on otr-dev:

1) How would you feel about releasing it under, say GPL v2
licensing?  That would be my first choice.

2) It sounds like you would like to develop in Windows first.  I
would also propose that Debian stable (or testing or unstable, only
if necessary) be the primary Linux distro to develop in first
(trying to proceed in parallel with a Windows implementation),
taking the time necessary to keep the core functionality
installable and working in both OS's (before adding any bells-and-
whistles features).

I especially suggest Debian, because today's most popular Linux
distros (Linux Mint, *buntu, Elementary OS, etc) are downstream
from Debian.  IMHO, the best hope for this project, would be that
an official Debian Developer would eventually come along (which I'm
not), and help this software become a proper Debian package,
eventually making its way into Debian main, with all the necessary
dependencies getting sorted out along the way.  Eventually, it
would be great if all OTR-computible IM's would have this proposed
package as a dependancy (and not just a "recommendation", which
IMHO would be very naiive in today's computer security climate)!

Debian also ranks as a top recommendation on https://prism-
break.org/ , as being trustworthy amidst all the Big News in the
computer security world, which I'm sure you're also following.

I can perhaps offer a bit of help as time allows, and lots of Linux
expertise.  I'll have to think over my current commitments before
making any promises.  I've done some small-time coding of one-off
system-adminstration-related Python scripts (usually not more than
a hundred lines of code, which can accomplish quite alot), but I
have little familiarity with modern version control systems and
software packaging (you know, making .debs, unofficial APT
repositories, etc).  I've never been a professional coder.  I've
worked with many coders in past jobs.  I do have a B.Sc. in
computer science, and 5 yrs experience as primarily a Unix/Linux
Sysadmin (with some Windows admin experience too).  I have an eye
to make things low-maintenance, simpler when possible, and easy to
backup and restore.

Are there any other python geeks, Debian geeks, or Debian
Maintainers out there?

If you agree that this sounds sensible, then I'll see you on otr-
dev.