[OTR-users] Increasing DH key size from 1536bit to at least 2048bit

Bits gsnqa6734n at snkmail.com
Fri Nov 8 09:38:49 EST 2013

This reminds me of something which should probably get a mention here:
Dark Mail.

Ladar Levison (Lavabit) and part of the Silent Circle team are working on
a new set of email-replacement protocols they're calling "Dark Mail" and
they've started this [
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ladar/lavabits-dark-mail-initiative
]Kickstarter project to fund it.  Levison's won some deep respect from me
for unemploying himself by shutting his company down cold turkey and
destroying his data in anticipation of governmental data demands.  (which
earned him some legal problems for which he's [ https://rally.org/lavabit
]asking for donations )

At the top of that Kickstarter page there's currently this [
https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/projects/724893/video-309905-h264_high.mp4
]video and in it one of the things they talk about is which encryption
protocols they'll be using.
The thing that struck me is that they estimated the amount of time their
encryption should hold out for and I think the amount of time they
estimated was less than 100 years.  Given who these guys are and what they
know they're up against, I would have thought they'd be using some
seriously overkill encryption.  Maybe they are and they're just being
realistic about the computers of the future; heck [
https://us2.startpage.com/do/metasearch.pl?query=quantum%20computer
]quantum computers are supposed to exist now.  Or maybe they're trying to
ease adoption by making the protocol less resource intensive.

--Bits