[OTR-users] OTR between 2 Macs over LAN

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Fri Aug 9 20:57:48 EDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 07:30:14PM -0500, otruser.ttl at recursor.net wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2013, at 5:27AM, Nathan of Guardian <nathan at guardianproject.info> wrote:
>
> > Maybe try with Pidgin instead?
>
> Unfortunately Pidgin is not Mac native (is has to be either compiled from source or loaded via Fink or MacPorts). Adium is Mac native and Jitsi is Java-based with .
> There's a Pidgin spinoff for Mac called Instantbird, but it doesn't appear to use OTR at all in the current version.
>
> > I have a feeling that Jitsi doesn't support OTR over SIP.
>
> So it would appear there no Mac client that supports OTR over a LAN connection… And I do think this is OTR issue.

Are you sure this is an OTR issue?  The OTR protocol is completely
agnostic as to the transport.  I don't see how being on a LAN would
matter in the protocol at all.

Can you perhaps supply network dumps showing the contents of the packets
on the wire with Adium?  That might help track things down.

Thanks,