[OTR-users] Facebook blocking OTR

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Sat Apr 14 10:10:38 EDT 2012

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012, ix4svs at gmail.com wrote:

> One small caveat: ID verification over XMPP (with question/answer or
> pre-shared secret) does not work at this time over FB. It seems they
> have not implemented this feature, since the same challenge/response
> protocol works fine over Google Chat.

It is not facebook that would need to "implement" that. It is a protocol
that just "goes over the chat wire" between your client and the client
of the person you are talking to.

Trusting facebook to be a trusted third party for the Q/A or secret
would defeat the entire purpose of OTR.

As Peter said, it's probably just incompetence or lack of interest, that
makes the facebook implementation of chat break when attempting OTR.

It would be nice if we could find a way around the breakage though.

Paul