[OTR-users] Pidgin Freezes when starting Private Conversation

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Aug 18 16:16:05 EDT 2011

Am 18.08.2011 18:21, schrieb Michael Secord:
> All,
>
> I've done some searching and have yet to find an answer to this, so I
> figured I'd come to the source.
>
> For as long as I can remember (at least back to Pidgin 2.7.0 and OTR
> 3.0.0 (I believe) on both Windows XP home & Pro 32-bit as well as
> Windows 7 Ultimate & Professional 64-bit) when I startup a private
> conversation with a buddy (at least the first time after starting
> pidgin) the entire application locks up for 30s+ depending on the day
> and typically will cause the AIM account that I'm using OTR with to
> disconnect from the actual service. Once I reenable/login to that
> account and IM the buddy, the conversation will be private and function
> as expected.
>
> I've gone so far as to clear out everything in Pidgin relating to OTR
> and updating the plugin and reconfiguring OTR with a user only to be
> thwarted by the same problem.
>
> Any suggestions/thoughts on this?

It only affects Windows, and for me clears without manual intervention
after a few dozen seconds.

Linux and FreeBSD are snappy, as in "short delay that's still plausible
as network round-trip and a bit of number crunching" (and often below 3
s for the whole negotiation during which Pidgin as a whole remains
responsive -- unlike on Windows).