[OTR-users] Pidgin Freezes when starting Private Conversation

Michael Secord gizmokid2005 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 12:21:02 EDT 2011

All,

I've done some searching and have yet to find an answer to this, so I
figured I'd come to the source.

For as long as I can remember (at least back to Pidgin 2.7.0 and OTR
3.0.0 (I believe) on both Windows XP home & Pro 32-bit as well as
Windows 7 Ultimate & Professional 64-bit) when I startup a private
conversation with a buddy (at least the first time after starting
pidgin) the entire application locks up for 30s+ depending on the day
and typically will cause the AIM account that I'm using OTR with to
disconnect from the actual service. Once I reenable/login to that
account and IM the buddy, the conversation will be private and function
as expected.

I've gone so far as to clear out everything in Pidgin relating to OTR
and updating the plugin and reconfiguring OTR with a user only to be
thwarted by the same problem.

Any suggestions/thoughts on this?

Thanks!

-Michael