[OTR-users] Pidgin Plugin should ignore XMPP Resource for verification

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Sep 14 21:46:00 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 09:46:46AM +0300, Lachezar Dobrev wrote:
>   While this MAY be true if the actual messenger instance is
> physically different, that may not be the case always. Consider my
> case, where I have a laptop that I move with, and depending on whether
> I am home, or at work the resource is changed accordingly.
>
>   However you too are missing my point.
>
>   What I was referring is to the verification status of OTHER people's
> keys, that SHOULD NOT take MY resource into consideration.

Ah, I see what you're saying.  So you have multiple accounts in your
pidgin, with the same username but different resources?  Yes, I guess it
would behave the way you say, and indeed, it probably shouldn't.

One problem would be that the account name is "user at hostname/resource"
for XMPP (prpl-jabber), and there would have to be code that "knew" that
for the special case of prpl-jabber, this should be canonicalized to
"user at hostname".  It's been a long time since I looked at the pidgin
internals.  There may already be canonicalization functions for every
prpl; I don't remember.