[OTR-users] pidgin-otr doesn't handle multiple connections/resources to same account

Brian Parma freecode at cox.net
Wed Jul 7 16:39:55 EDT 2010

Hey, I have a question/idea/feature request?

When two accounts are communicating over a program like pidgin, say
'client A' and 'client B', but one of them is connected twice, from two
separate computers/locations, say 'client A/home' and 'client A/work',
OTR doesn't handle this situation well.

If 'client B' tries to initiate an OTR session with 'client A', both
'client A/home' and 'client A/work' get the message and try to initiate
an OTR session.  When the first one to respond estables a session, the
other connection gets garbled messages and tries to refresh the OTR
session.  When that succeeds, the first connection does the same, and
session just bounces back and forth between the two connections
producing lots of OTR message spam.

Shouldn't it be possible for OTR to identify itself based on connection,
so in this situation 'client B' can establish two separate OTR sessions,
one to each connection of 'client A'?  XMPP uses a 'resource' identifier
to distinguish between separate connections to the same account, but
even for protocols that don't it seems like OTR can generate a
connection id itself.

This is the only problem I have when using otr over pidgin, it's very
useful for cross platform secure comms.