[OTR-users] OTR Proxies and Empathy

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Jul 6 09:56:54 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 06:06:52PM -0600, Michael Holley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've scanned the archives and haven't seen this idea really mentioned;
> has there been talk of or a way to have an OTR proxy for use with
> Empathy on Ubuntu?
>
> Pidgin is a fine chatting client, but I like the look of Empathy better
> and I like the integration with Ubuntu. Can I use the iChat OTR Proxy
> for Mac with Empathy? I have a Mac mini on my network.
>
> If the iChat OTR Proxy wont work (I use AIM, Facebook, and GoogleTalk)
> then what libraries do I need to write my own proxy, most likely in Python?
>
> Thanks for such a great product. I've been using OTR for several years
> now and refuse to use a client that isn't capable of OTR encryption, in
> some fashion.

You may be able to compile the OTR proxy on Ubuntu.  That is, it worked
a long time ago, but that code hasn't been maintained in ages, so you
may have to dig out an older installation of wxWidgets.  If you do that,
then as long as Epiphany can use SOCKS, you're in business.  Note that
the OTR proxy only handles AIM connections; it won't work for Facebook
or GTalk/XMPP.  The "right" answer, of course, is to make an OTR plugin
for Epiphany.  But I seem to remember that the Epiphany people were
opposed to such a thing.