[OTR-users] irssi otr not initializing

Uli M a.sporto+bee at gmail.com
Thu May 7 09:15:22 EDT 2009

Hi Tom,

On Wed 06.05.09 14:16, hammer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using irssi with the otr plugin on a debian testing system.
> Trying to initilize a private conversation via irc fails without notice.
> When my buddy trys to initiliaze i get the following after issuing /otr
> debug:
>
> OTR: ignoring protocol message of length 8, acc=xxxx at irc.servercentral.net,
> from=xxxx: ?OTR?v2?
>
> I can not see why otr would ignore this message.?

That's not actually an error. It just means that a message came in that didn't
produce any immediate cleartext output.

The reason OTR didn't work for you is probably because key generation has to
take place first. After your buddy initializes a session you should have a
message about an ongoing key generation in the status window. A few minutes
later there'll be another one saying that it is finished. Once that has
happended you can ask your buddy to initiate again, then it should all work out.
You should also check out the README file, it explains all the basics.

Uli