[OTR-users] Further information and request for comments on OTR documentation

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Wed Mar 18 23:43:11 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 06:00:48PM +0000, Ananda Samaddar wrote:

> Also I need to know which protocols work reliably with OTR.  I know
> that QQ for example doesn't.  I've personally used MSN, Yahoo and
> Jabber with OTR.  I'd like to know if there are any other protocols
> that users have successfully used OTR with.
>
> If anyone wants to test MSN, Yahoo, AIM or Jabber with me, please email
> me off list.

I successfully use Pidgin+OTR with Y!M, AIM, and GTalk fairly regularly.
I'm pretty sure I've used it with ICQ a fair bit, too, but right now I
just can't swear to it.  I know I've used it with MSN a lot, but then I
stopped using MSN entirely.  If you want to test Y!M, AIM, ICQ, or GTalk
with me, feel free to email me off-list.

> I also need to know how to install the Pidgin OTR plugin on the
> following Linux distros and BSDs, gui and text based installation if
> possible:
>
> -Fedora
> -OpenSuse
> -Mandriva
> -Gentoo
> -OpenBSD
> -FreeBSD
> -NetBSD

What exactly do you need to know?  I use Pidgin+OTR on my laptop running
FreeBSD.

Common Reformulation of Greenspun's Tenth Rule:  Any sufficiently
complicated non-Lisp program contains an ad hoc informally-specified
bug-ridden slow implementation of half of Common Lisp.