[OTR-users] Further information and request for comments on OTR documentation

Ananda Samaddar ananda.samaddar at vfemail.net
Mon Mar 2 13:00:48 EST 2009

I'm making good progress on what I'm hoping will be the official OTR
guide.  Here are a few things I'd like to mention about it, please feel
free to comment on them.  Some of the points/questions are mainly FAO
the OTR maintainers.

-The guide only refers to Pidgin and OTR as the Pidgin OTR plugin is
developed by the OTR maintainers.
-All screenshots are from Windows with the 'Windows Classic' theme.
-There is no section for Mac users as of now, I was thinking of simply
adding an FAQ answer advising Mac users to use Adium.
-What is the licensing of the docs / FAQ on the OTR site?  Can I
include the text and/or images from them in the guide?
-The guide is a 'complete' solution in that it also explains how to add
accounts and basic usage of Pidgin, would this need to be removed?
-Can pdf attachments be sent to this list?
-What's the preferred format for the guide when it's ready for
submission LaTeX, Lyx, html?

Also I need to know which protocols work reliably with OTR.  I know
that QQ for example doesn't.  I've personally used MSN, Yahoo and
Jabber with OTR.  I'd like to know if there are any other protocols
that users have successfully used OTR with.

If anyone wants to test MSN, Yahoo, AIM or Jabber with me, please email
me off list.

I also need to know how to install the Pidgin OTR plugin on the
following Linux distros and BSDs, gui and text based installation if
possible:

-Fedora
-OpenSuse
-Mandriva
-Gentoo
-OpenBSD
-FreeBSD
-NetBSD

I personally use Arch and Debian so those two are covered.

thanks,

Ananda